Sunday, November 7, 2010

eggleston

William Eggleston has moved through a number of different styles and subject matter over the course of his career. He began in B&W in 1957, photographing things directly overhead and people at parties. He then transitioned into color and expanded to industrial scenes. Throughout the evolution of his career, the one thing that has distinguished his work is his ability to make a mundane scene interesting.

The 8 images that I shot and printed look very different from the 8 I've posted below, partly because I was limited by subject material and B&W. The main thing that I tried to emulate was his ability to spot a bit of color, a funky expression, symmetry, strange light, etc, and use it to make a boring moment worth photographing and sharing.

http://www.mardecortesbaja.com/blog/_archives/2007/7 
http://lindsaylewisphotography.wordpress.com/author/lindsaylewisphotography/
http://coulditbemadnessthis.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
http://www.brianrose.com/journal/2009_01_01_archive.html 
http://denniswitmer.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/page/2/ 
http://www.seze.net/blog/category/amazing-women/page/2/
http://www.killeryellow.com/blog/page/4/ 
http://www.flickr.com/groups/473537@N20/discuss/72157623327951874/

12 comments:

  1. My favorite photographs of Eggleston are those without people. I love the way light and color are utilized throughout his images to give life to our everyday objects. I can't wait to see how you transitioned his concepts into B&W.
    -Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how all of these sort of capture a relationship in someway. The ones with the people are obvious, and the expressions and lighting of the models really push the narrative of the images. But the pictures of objects just give the subjects a feeling of being owned or valued by someone.
    -Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  3. The man on the bed... the lens makes the room look GIANT. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photographs are great but the color seems to be a big influence on the work especially on the one with the red ceiling and the yellow sink. I feel all these images would take on a different mood in black and white but from seeing your work in the dark room today I think you were able to capture an essence of your photographer even though you shot in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a lot of the photographs perspective was something that jumped out at me, the color added to the shots, I'm interested in how you translated the essence of ze photographer into your B&W prints, actually, I know how you did it! Because I saw your prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these shots seem to develope the story of really normal sights. things that normally get passed over but instead become the focus of thought. I really want to see how you take this into b&w

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are all visually stunning, and the main reason why it seems this way to me is because of the color. i wonder how well black and white equivalents will look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I want to take the color film class! These colors are so beautiful and rich in a way that I think digital is often lacking. His composition is very dynamic and I think that is why the ordinary looks so interesting in these photographs. I'm excited to see how it translates into black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eggelston's photos strike me as quietly static. Specifically the blankness of the expression, even with the girl sitting on the couch. I can imagine snapping my fingers in front of their eyes; they are unaware of the artist. These images are what you see then you are not really looking. Translated into his human subjects: they are looking at what you will never see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a ton of variety in these photographs, some are fashionable, some are done documentary-style, and some are just simple pictures of objects developed with perfection. The colors and tones are simply beautiful. I really like how the viewer feels like they've been thrown back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably my favorite part about these are the colors, so I'll be interested in how you translate that to black and white. I also really like how he captures quiet, mundane moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I commented earlier, but I think I closed the tab before entering the captcha phrase, oops.

    What this photographer was trying to do was make boring scenes interesting, and I think he succeeded. They all have interesting lines and lighting, but other than that there's a lot of variation between them, so it'll be interesting to see how you interpret that.

    ReplyDelete